If Money is All I Need, Why am I Shopping for Food?

Money has become the lifeblood of modern society.  You live on the street if you have no money.  Or you live on someone's couch.  Money is the root of all social contact for most people.  It is the foundation of our lifestyles.

When I look at a map of the world I think of people in Asia and Africa who live their whole lives with very little money compared to American families.  They own their homes, farm the land or raise cattle, or otherwise support themselves and generation after generation of "the poor" without money.


On American television these people are presented as desperate, impoverished souls whose lives will be improved only by the intervention of guilt-laden American dollars.

I have no doubt there is grave poverty in the world.  I am sure that I could spare $30 a month to help make someone else's life better.

But my daily struggle is to find enough change to plan the next meal.  I live in the lap of luxury compared to how the kings and queens of the past must have lived but I worry about when we have the rent money for next month.

My family is surrounded by millionaires and almost famous people.  We work for the wealthy but their wealth does not rub off on us.  It must be the same for the poor people of the world.  They work for people who have more than they do but there is no "trickle down" effect.

Technology and education create opportunity for the middle class.  We go to school, we learn something interesting, and then we start a little company that begins to change lives.  So many American companies have grown from small ideas.  But we can't all be business owners.  Very few people will become the next Walt Disney or Steve Jobs.

My grocery bill would become a thing of the past if I had enough money to not worry about food.  My rent would become a mortgage payment and then that would become a thing of the past after 30 years.  But does anyone still pay a mortgage in 30 years?

I try to put things into perspective and what I find is that I need more money because I want more things.  The problem is what I want, not what I have.  I have more than most people on this Earth and yet I don't have enough.  Is that wrong or is that merely ambition?