What Every Freelance Writer Should Know about Blogging

Every writer learns by doing. Here are some of the lessons I learned as a freelance writer.
Freelance writing has come a long way since my grandmother began earning extra money writing for magazines in the 1980s. Back then she had to visit the library and research markets in books and magazines for writers. Then she sent off query letters, pitching article ideas to small and medium-size magazines. She did that because she loved writing and as a mother raising 4 kids she wanted to work from home. Her career lasted about 10 years before she stopped writing.
Freelance writers are more in demand today than ever before. What amazes me when I look for new opportunities is just how low the bar has been set for freelance copy. The people buying these articles don't care what they look like. They'll take anything they can get as long as it's cheap.

What I look for are better-paying opportunities. A good writer should be earning at least 10 cents a word. I know writers who charge $1 per word and they never worry about where their next client comes from.

My own rates vary depending on the assignment. The more research I must put into an article the more I want to be paid per word.

The per word payment model is not a very good one for freelancers. We are expected to price our copy so that we earn a good living. But no one is paying us to market ourselves. You should be adding a slight premium to your per-word charges to cover your expenses of finding new clients.

The freelancer must balance production against income. If I only earn $50 a day for 5000 words, how many hours did I need to write those 5000 words?

And when I accept an assignment, how much direction does the client give me? Many clients only say they want an article about X that runs to so-and-so words. They don't tell me anything about how to organize the article.

When I ask clients if they want a compare and contrast piece, or a roundup, they are often dumbfounded by what I mean. Am I the last person on Earth who took an advanced composition class?

Here are my tips for freelancers who write for blogs they know nothing about.

Write a Heading and Description for Your Article First

The person buying your words may only have a topic in mind but you should get their permission to write an article that explains how to make a million dollars on the Web. They may not want that. They'll come back and say "I wanted 50 ways to make money on the Web".

It may be all the same to you but it's not to them.

If the client gives you the article title you should still write the description and get approval to write the article it describes.

Create an Outline of Your Talking Points

Use the outline for your article sub-section headings. That way you'll know where you are going and where you should finish.

If one talking point needs sub-points, include them in your outline.

If the client (who should never see your outline) asks for a revision then revise your outline first if necessary.

Use a Consistent Writing Style

This is easier said than done because some clients don't care how the copy is written and some have their own editorial styles. If the client gives you a style guide you are expected to follow it closely.

This is one of the most challenging parts of the job. Switching between editorial styles can be confusing. I print out the current project's guidelines and keep them with me as I write.

If the client doesn't have an editorial stylesheet for you look at their Website and make notes about how they write headlines, how they capitalize words, when they use italics, etc.

First be consistent with the client's other content. Second, be consistent with yourself.

Ask As Many Questions At the Start as You Can

Nothing is more frustrating than getting deep into a writing assignment only to realize you don't know some important piece of information only the client can provide you with. They may become annoyed if you keep coming back for more help.

Be as thorough as possible when you interview your customers about their content needs. You may only have 1 chance to get it right.

Don't Abandon Work That is Rejected

When I first started freelancing too many of my articles were turned down. I knew I had to learn some lessons so I began saving old articles and rewriting them in my spare time.

The best thing you can do as a writer is to practice. Even if no one is paying you for your words always improve your craft. You deserve to be the best possible writer.